Friday, July 27, 2007

Game Engine Reqs

So I have decided to spend some time and resources on developing a MMORPG. Sure there are plenty out there but after spending countless hours playing WOW and having dabbled in video game design, I feel it is time to extend my expertise from standalone games I have created for fun to something that could generate income. I have plenty of hardware and bandwidth as I also own a hosting company here in chicago so resources are plenty for this experiment.

Game engine requirements
  • Scriptable
  • Easy to extend
  • Must have importers for major modeling programs: Milkshape, 3Dsmax, Maya, Blender
  • Interior and Exterior rendering
  • Skymap
  • TCP / UDP networking
  • Physics
  • Shadow rendering
  • Preferably opensource but I am willing to shell out some money to get a decent engine
  • Libs to connect to MYSQL
  • Small footprint
  • Particles
Game engine pluses
  • Cross Platform: Would love to build a linux version of the client
  • InGame Toolsets such as WorldBuilders, etc.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Planeshift [game] (www.planeshift.it) is game based on the Planeshift [client/server] Go to SourceForge.Net and do a search on Planeshift. It will show 5 projects that have started based on the client/server engine. Planeshift [game] uses Crystal Space for graphics. Planeshift [client/server] is ready to be filled with content and scripted. Uses MySQL as database. I have also looked into the depths of Torque and Minions of Mirth. Crystal Space does have some holes in it that can be exploited. I have been looking at and reviewing engines like this for a while, and am from Chicago. My primary requirements have been cross-platform, and specific behavior of how the client/server data is kept in sync. As well as basic security on the engine. The development of Planeshift is a story in itself and much can be learned from the project history on SourceForge, their bugtracker and forums. Thought I would mention it. Good luck to you!