Sunday, February 10, 2008

Re-Formated my PC

So I just reformated my development pc with my new build of LAVA Linux Dev.

Loaded it with all the engines, crystal space, panda3d, etc.

I played with panda3d a bit and found it was easy, freely available, interfaces with blender a great free 3d modeler and was easy to setup an environment on both the pc and linux.

Crystal space took a little more effort but also has a huge support force online. I also thought that if I invested time in crystalspace it may be more beneficial as Crystal space has spurred off many interesting projects such as CEL.

Irrlicht is also a contender as I like the tutorials - the forums are helpful and it also has a great list of links and add-on projects.

I'm still reviewing the engines and in the next week I want to work on the following simple engine test.

My simple hello world will be - to build a simple room, texture mapped with dynamic lighting and have collision detection so i cannot walk outside the room. Total 3d, look up, down, sides as well as move slow and run. This is a simple task and it is a test to see which engine does it the best and which does it the quickest.

No comments: