Sunday, June 22, 2008

Building a World, one model at a time



So I am beginning to put together all the sketches for the character types and races. Also building up manifests for all backgrounds. Being a GameMaster for a local group of guys here in chicago has actually helped me. Playing tons of D&D and Rifts makes it easier to envision what I would like in a game as well as making the images come to life.

I don't know if anyone else can relate. You get a group of guys together to play some RPG and before you know it they start drawing what their characters would look like. Well that was the case with me and being the artist, the guys would always ask me to draw their characters. After awhile I got pretty good at it but I never thought I would be putting it to use in making an online game. Well here is a sample of one of the characters I am in the process of building.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey tony i tried looking at blender...didnt like it...i think u said somewhere that blender imports 3dsmax models is this true?

Antonio Sosa said...

http://www.tdt3d.com/articles_viewer.php?art_id=99

Link has a comparison of 3d programs as well as what imports/ exports to what. Blender does export and import to 3dsmax format according to the chart. I usually don't import or export to 3dsmax from Blender so I'm not sure if it is all encapsulating import, export. Sometimes 3d programs say they import and export to a file type but then you find out they don't so nurbs or it has to be normalized before importing or sometimes the textures do not come tru. Not sure, maybe the import/export works great. Only way to know it is to try.

Antonio Sosa said...

http://www.blender.org/education-help/

Another good site with blender tutorials both online and off.