Saturday, June 14, 2008

Landscape Test

So I generated a heightmap in gimp, then wrote some python code in panda3d to import the heightmap, wrap a texture map onto it and then project that as a landscape. I also added some keybinding so I could move around and did a quick print to screen with instructions. I grabbed some music from a freeware site and added the sound code and voila, 2 hours later have the finished landscape. This landscape is alittle different from my other test as that was much smaller. This test, loads the landscape in sections so theoretically it could be limitless. The other test was very small, this landscape is a realtime landscape with over 300,000 miles. Lots of room to build a world and it could be bigger, the engine i am writing onto of panda loads sections of the heightmap as the player moves so that it can scale without eating away too much memory and without constant pauses in the rendering or having to load one area at a time. Again I am building this on a version of Ubuntu I customized called LAVA. You can find it on the other blogs to the right. I also tested the code and it is able to run on Windows thanks to the fact that panda, python are cross platform.

1 comment:

Crash Test Astronomer said...

Hi,

This is cool. I know this is rather old, but I'm trying to figure Panda3D out and I want to make big terrains too. Can you give me some idea how you make a large terrain that are made of multiple models (and the autoloading)?